- AN EVALUATION OF THE ATTITUDE OF STUDENTS TOWARDS TEACHING AND LEARNING OF HEALTH EDUCATION IN LAGOS STATE SCHOOLS
- AN EVALUATION ON THE ATTITUDE OF CHILD CARE GIVERS TOWARDS CHILD CARE PRACTICES IN NURSERY SCHOOL IN LAGOS METROPOLIS
- SOCIETY’S CURRENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS WOMEN IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY BASED ARTISAN JOBS AS A FACTOR IN MAINSTREAMING GIRLS INTO SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY MATHEMATICS EDUCATION (SMTE)
- EFFECT OF FORMAL EDUCATION ON NIGERIAN WOMEN’S ATTITUDE TOWARDS FAMILY PLANNING IN LAGOS STATE
- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SCHOOL CLIMATE AND CAREGIVERS' ATTITUDE TOWARDS EARLY CHILD CARE DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
- AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE ATTITUDE OF WOMEN TOWARDS FAMILY PLANNING PROGRAMME ON LAGOS STATE
- SOCIETY’S CURRENT ATTITUDE TOWARDS WOMEN IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY BASED ARTISAN JOBS AS A FACTOR IN MAINSTREAMING GIRLS INTO STM EDUCATION
- THE ATTITUDE OF MOTHER-IN-LAW TOWARDS DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AS A DETERMINANT FACTOR IN MARITAL STABILITY IN SOME SELECTED FAMILIES IN SHOMOLU AREA OF LAGOS STATE
- THE ATTITUDE OF UNDERGRADUATE SANDWICH STUDENTS TOWARDS FAMILY PLANNING METHODS AT UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS.
- THE EFFECT OF FORMAL EDUCATION ON NIGERIAN WOMEN’S ATTITUDE TOWARDS FAMILY PLANNING IN LAGOS STATE
ATTITUDE OF OKADA RIDERS TOWARDS THE USE OF HEAD CRASH HELMET AND SAFETY (A CASE STUDY OF OJODU LOCAL GOVERNMENT)
The study was on Attitude of Okada riders towards the use of crash helmet and safety. The study was carried out at Ojodu Local Government area of Lagos State.
The research design use in this study in the non-experimental research design. The research population at the Okada riders at the Ojodu Local Government.
No sample were selected using non-probability sampling method. Convenience sampling method was used .
These samples were taken as any Okada rider on ground that day because the research subject. The result of the work indicates that positive attitude of Okada riders towards the use of helmet donates safety to them and their passengers while their negative attitudes lead to high morbidity and mortality rate thereby reducing human resources in the local government, state and the nation as a whole.
There should be a law enforcing the use of crash helmet by Okada riders to provide adequate safety and prevent head injury indirectly pending morbidity and mortality rate of Okada riders
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Table of Contents viii-ix
Statement of Problems 2
Purpose of the study 3
Research question 3
Significance of the study 4
Limitations of the study 5
Scope/Delimitations of Study 5
Delimitation of terms 6
Research Design 29
Population of Study 29
Sample Size 30
Sampling Techniques and procedures 30
Research Instrument 31
Technicians of Data Analysis 31
Result Analysis and findings 33
Implication of the Study 41
Suggestion for Further 42
Okada riders literary means motor cycle riders and their attitudes towards the used of helmet and safely have become the issues for concern in recent times.
Their negative attitudes towards the use of crash helmet, contributes to increase morbidity and mortality rates.
Their attitudes and disregard for safety measures have over the years led to the emergency of several directives to sage guard their life.
One new directives that has dominates headlines caused to defiance on the part of Okada riders and made the relevant authorities resort to puncture measures is that of crash helmet to the average Okada rider, the use of helmets translates into inconvenience and unnecessary expenses in the face of the biting economic condition.
It also legalize extortions in the hands of the Nigerian police for man – compliance, to an average passenger the use of helmet in too dangerous especially the one provided by an Okada rider. Infections and ritual purposes are factors that make many hearts palpate at the sight of the helmet.
Crash Helmet are designed to cushion and protect rider’s head from the impact of a crash.
Lastly, the motorcycle exposes the riders to a crash because it has no windshield, doors, windows or a seat belt to secure and protect the rider, hence the use of helmet which provide safety for the rider’s head and negative attitude towards the use of helmet leads to head injury when there is a fall.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Okada riders constitute major problems in increasing morbidity and mortality rate thereby decreasing human resources in the nation.
Illiteracy and poverty level of Okada riders also acts as contributing factors to the negative attitudes of Okada riders towards the use of crash helmet.
Ignorance about safety importance of the crash helmet makes most of the Okada riders use both fake and substandard crash helmet.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
To determine the level of awareness of Okada riders toward the use of crash helmet.
To identify the numbers of Okada riders who uses the crash helmet correctly.
To indicate that negative attitude of Okada riders towards the use of crash helmet heads to high morbidity and mortality rate.
To examine the effect of positive attitude of Okada riders towards the use of crash helmet.
To outline and analyze the safety importance of crash helmet.
1.4 RESEARH QUESTION
Does attitude of Okada riders towards the use of head crash helmet influence their safety?
What effect does positive attitude of Okada riders towards the use of head crash helmet have on safety.
What effect does negative attitude of Okada riders towards the use of head crash helmet have on safety?
(1) Hi - There is positive relationship between the use of crash helmet and
attitude to safety among Okada riders.
HO - There is no positive relationship between the use of crash helmet and attitude to safety among Okada riders.
2. Hi - Okada riders have negative attitudes towards the use of helmet in Nigeria.
HO - Okada riders does not have negative attitudes towards the use of helmet in Nigeria.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Despite the fact that a lot of people have written research on plane crash, road accident, little or not research has been done on an attitude of Okada riders.
Because this research is a leading research it will act as a reference materials to those who will work on this research in schools, colleges, universities etc.
The research will assume the government in facilitating the using of laws that will enforce the use of crash helmet and make Okada riders to develop a positive attitude.
1.7 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
The following limitations were encountered during the course of the research.
· Difficulties in getting responses from Okada rider.
· Because of their literacy level I, was highly difficult to convince them that there is
no implications after answering the question are:
· There is financial constraints hence the research cannot be extended.
· There is limited time hence the research could have be expanded.
1.8 SCOPE/DELIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study in basically on Ojodu Local Government however care should be applied when trying to apply the study in generalized the whole Lagos State or Nigeria.
The study is limited to Ojodu local government and however this research provided useful information and research on the attitude of Okada riders and the use of helmet.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
ATTITUDE: Attitude is a way of thinking or feeling or way of individual behaviors or a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and disposition.
Okada riders literary means motor cycle riders or motor bike rider.
Is a type of protective head gear used by motorcycle riders to protect the riders head during impact, the primary goal of a motorcycle helmet is motorcycle safety.
SAFETY: Safety is the state of being “safe”, the condition of being protected against physical, social, spiritual, political emotional, occupational, psychological educational or other types on consequences of failure, damages or accident, herm or any other event which could be considered non desirable. This can take the form of being protected from the event or exposure to something that causes health is economical loses it can include protection of people or of possessions.
Head injury is a general term used to describe any traveling to the head and most specifically to the brain itself.