- THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTERIZED E-LEARNING AND E- EDUCATION WEB-PORTAL
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A FILE SHARING APPLICATION FOR ANDROID
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A HOTEL RESERVATION SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTERIZED PAYROLL SYSTEM (Case Study of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ( NBC))
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COOPERATIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ELECTRONIC BILLING SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM A Study of Hill-Top Hotel
- THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE BANKING SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE SHOPPING MALL
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE STUDENT ADMISSION SYSTEM
DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPUTERIZED E-LEARNING AND E- EDUCATION WEB-PORTAL
E-education is the process of learning online. Whether you're a high school student or a Tertiary institution student, a person looking to expand technical skills or a retiree who simply wants to learn more, Internet learning provides a boundary-free way to broaden your horizons. The evolution of internet and World Wide Web (WWW) has affected all part of life dramatically; also the area of education has not remained untouched. Previously, student used to spend their time in library searching for information in books and journals. Now a day, they use web search engines and figure out the web sites containing the required information. The information sharing has become very easy due to access to Internet. E-education revolves around the use of ICT to accelerate the achievement of national education goals, e-education is about connecting learners to other learners, teachers to professional support services and providing platforms for learning, e-education will connect learners and teachers to a better information, ideas and one another via effective combinations of style of instruction and technology. Electric learning popularly known as e-learning is an application that allows teacher to be able to communicate with the students across the web. There has been an increased interest in the area of computer technology in Nigeria through the introduction of the internet. This has aided communication between two distant learning parties in the country, thereby enlarging the electronic learning via internet in Nigeria. The problems that the application will try to solve are: Inadequate learning resources such as lecture notes and virtual classrooms for viewing lectures: Shortage of experienced lecturers: and Boredom associated with Long lecture hours. The objective of this study is to create an interactive electronic learning system which will make possible learning anywhere, anytime using the web. A methodological approach has been adopted for this research and the e- learning web portal will be developed using tools such as PHP, HTML, Apache and MySQL. The web-based application will provide a means of assessing the learning content and to ensure the student understands the course taught by teachers.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.1 Background Information
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Aim and Objectives of the Study
1.4 Significance of the Study
1.5 Research Methodology
1.6 Limitation of the Study
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELEVANT LITERATURE
2.2 Tertiary Educational System in Nigeria
2.3 Evolution of Tertiary Education in Nigeria
2.4 Common Methods of Learning Adopted in Nigeria
2.5 Distance Education in Nigeria
2.6 Evolution of E- Learning in the World
2.7 Electronic Learning (E-Learning)
2.8 E-Learning Technologies
2.9 Open Distance Education
2.10 Premises for Open-Distance Education in Nigeria
2.11 Objectives of Open Distance Learning
2.12 Problems of Existing Open Distance Learning
2.13 E-Learning Pedagogy
2.14 Methods of Delivering E-Learning
CHAPTER THREE: SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
3.2 Requirement Analysis
3.3 Menu Items
3.4 Modeling Using UML
3.5 Entity Relationship Diagram
3.6 Input Design
3.7 Output Design
4.2 Hardware Requirements
4.3 Software Requirements
4.5 The Smart E-Learn Centre Lagos State University
4.6 Language Specification
4.7 Testing of the Application
4.8 Data Security
4.9 Mode of Operation
SUMMARY, CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.2 5.2 Conclusion
Appendix I: Sample Screen Shots
Appendix II: Flowchart
Appendix III: Sample Code in PHP
1.1 BACKGROUND INFORMATION
E-education is the process of learning online. Whether you're a high school student or a graduate college student, a person looking to expand technical skills or a retiree who simply wants to learn more, electronic learning provides a boundary-free way to broaden your horizons that allows the teacher to be able to communicate with its students across the web either through receiving lectures or assessment (electronic tutoring and electronic assessment) and also delivering any other information that is necessary for the student’s progress .This application is developed on the web which comprises of three tiers which are the client, the server and the database, the server and the database are the part of the system that would be used by the teacher to hold the resources to be displayed as well as editing of such resources.The server and the database can be said to work hand in hand and used by the same person, while the client tier is used by the student to view the resources as well as interacting with the lecture. These three tiers can be interacting with one another to create an online and real time application. These tiers can all work hand in hand to create an effective communication between the teacher and the student.
These have been an increased interest in the area of computer technology in Nigeria through the introduction of the internet. This has aided communication between two distant parties in the country, there by enlarging the interest of electronic learning in Nigeria.
The e- learning system comprises of two main section, the electronics tutoring (e-learning) and the electronics assessment (e-assessment) .The e-tutoring aspect is concerned with the learning part where student come on line to receive lectures, take review questions and also view summary and the note key of lecture received. The e-assessment section is just where the student take tests, exercise, quiz to know how far they have learnt since the commencement of the lectures.
The application and processes involved are web based learning, virtual classroom, computer based learning and they are accessed through the internet CD-ROM.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problems that this application will try to solve are:
· Inadequate learning resources such as lecture note and virtual classrooms for viewing lectures.
· Shortage of experience lectures.
· Boredom associated with long lecture hours.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is to create an interactive electronic learning system which would be used to improve our current learning system as well as providing means at which learning can be done at one’s convenient time.
The objectives of this study are:
· To create an interactive medium of learning between lectures and student.
· To enable student have access to learning resources such as lecture notes.
· To help student learn effectively with little or no supervision.
1.4SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The project was chosen because it proffers solutions to the problem affecting our present educational system. The significances of the study are as follows:
· Virtual classrooms that can be accessed from anywhere
· Well educated, professional instructors just like traditional education
· Diverse programs in a variety of disciplines
· Accredited programs to complete college degrees
· Technical programs that provide real-time training
· Freedom to enhance skills –and resume – while still working full-time
· Financial aid possibilities
· Real-life application of classroom materials
· Greater comfort with interactive technologies
· Work/life balance
1.5 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
A methodology approach has been adopted for this research and its includes the various tools:
· Observation and analysis of the processes that exist in our present educational system in Nigeria
· The application will be developed using HTML, PHP andMYSQL database.
· Apache server will used as the web server.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The limitation of this research work is as follows:
1. The web based learning system is not real- time software though it is online it can only be updated at a particular time.
2. This electronic system software is only available for a few courses for now which can be expanded as time goes on
3. It is only limited to a particular environment (Lagos State University)