- DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF AN E-BILLING SYSTEM
- THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTERIZED E-LEARNING AND E- EDUCATION WEB-PORTAL
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A FILE SHARING APPLICATION FOR ANDROID
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A HOTEL RESERVATION SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTERIZED PAYROLL SYSTEM (Case Study of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ( NBC))
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COOPERATIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ELECTRONIC BILLING SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM A Study of Hill-Top Hotel
- THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE BANKING SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE SHOPPING MALL
DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF E-BILLING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
This project was aimed at making the issuance and handlings of invoice and billings more efficient, considering the precious value of time and the advancement rate of information technology in this 21st century.
A feasibility study was first considered to ascertain the cost, its efficiency level and its general advantages over the usual way of issuing invoice and billing. Next is the flowchart and algorithm, which preceded the computerized interface design. Design was then computerized, which is the first step in achieving the purpose of this project. Each steps of the coding stage comes with its different challenges, and were resolve through the debug feature of the program used.
The software was developed using .Net Framework, which offers lots of advantages to developers.
.Net Framework enables XML, SOAP and HTTP to facilitate distributed application communications, which makes it possible for .NET developers to cooperate with network security devices instead of working around their security limitations.
In a project such as this, a reliable database is required and this was why Microsoft Access was used.
Microsoft Access is an ideal solution for relatively small datasets and a limited number of users. As a desktop database, Access is well suited for the collection of data in software of this nature.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title page i
Table of Content vi
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of problem 2
1.3 Objectives of the study 2
1.4 Methodology of the study 3
1.5 Significance of research 4
1.6 Scope of the study 4
2.1 Software Methodology 6
2.2 The concept of object orientation 6
2.2.1 Object oriented methodology 7
2.3 Extreme Programming 7
2.4 Applications and tools used to develop the system 9
2.4.1 Microsoft visual studio 9
2.4.2 Microsoft Access 10
2.4.3 Crystal Report 10
2.5 Meaning of E-Billing System 12
2.6 The Review of an Existing System 12
2.7 The Place of the proposed system 13
SYSTEM ANALYSIS AND DESIGN
3.1 Feasibility Study 14
3.1.1Operation Feasibility 14
3.1.2Technical Feasibility 15
3.1.3Economic Feasibility 15
3.2 System Design 15
3.2.1Logical Design 16
3.2.2Input Design 17
3.2.3Output Design 18
3.2.4Physical Design 18
3.2.5Modular Design 18
3.2.6Database Design 19
3.3 Normalization 20
3.4 Functional Requirements 21
3.5 Non-functional requirement 22
3.6 Unified Modeling language 23
3.6.1 Use Case Diagram 24
3.6.2 Class Diagram 26
SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION AND TESTING
4.1 Choices of the programming language 32
4.1.1 Introduction to .NET 32
4.1.2 Advantages to .NET 33
4.2 Choice of Database 35
4.3 Description of e-billing system 38
4.4 System Testing 39
4.4.1 Unit testing 41
4.4.2 Module level testing 41
4.4.3 Integration & system testing 41
4.4.4 Regression testing 42
4.5 System Implementation 42
4.5.1 Implementation Methods 42
4.5.2 Implementation plan 43
4.6 Hardware and software specification 43
4.7 Sample Screen shot of the system 44
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.1 Summary 50
5.2 Limitation of the Study 50
5.3 Conclusion 50
5.4 Recommendation and future work 51
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Billing is the act of issuing bills for goods or services rendered. A bill is a printed or written statement of the money owed for goods or services rendered.
Billing system can be done in two ways, namely manual method and electronic method. In a billing System, where the storage of data is done manually i.e. information is entered into record books. This is inefficient as a number of problems can arise from this:
· The information has to be access from one point i.e. where the record is kept.
· In order to get information anywhere, duplicate copies have to be made.
· Changes made in one record might not be updated in a duplicate.
· Loss of records to natural disasters.
· Anybody can access any report and any sensitive data.
· No report to find out the sales volume, stock list and summary report.
Because of the above reasons listed above it is unreasonable to maintain billing System on record books in this age of computer based information system. The E-billing System is developed to solve these problems.
E-billing is the act of issuing bills (that is a printed or written statement of the money owed for goods and services rendered.) electronically or automatically via computer. E-billing system is a networked database application. A database application is defined literally, as an application that collects data from users through an interface and stores it in a data file (on memory), to process, manipulate and retrieve for decision making.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The manual method of billing, storage and retrieval of customer’s information and computation could be strenuous and time-consuming. It may involve dedicating a person, people or department of the firm to handle this task. Performance computation on the part of staff could be stressful. The E-billing System focuses on how to ease the problems of retrieval of customers’ data when billing is made.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project is to create a computerized bill generation process and invoice, whereby customers’ details will be maintained on a database. It will also help the firm to maintain their product lists, customer lists, and print the invoice. Also it is possible to share the data from multiple systems in a multi-user environment.
The study focuses on the following objectives:
· To make sure data is not duplicated.
· To give security to the sensitive data of the firm.
· To be able to access data from any computer system connected to the database server.
· To keep records of sales volume, stock list and summary report.
· Store data as long as possible.
· To be able to find and print previously saved invoices.
· Provide easy backup of data which can be used at another location.
· To curb every error made in a manual or handwritten billing system.
1.4 METHODOLOGY OF THE STUDY
In this project we make use of UML (Unified modeling language) to design the processes of the application and the user interaction with the system.
The System is a Microsoft window based application that runs on the .NET platform. It is developed using Visual Basic .NET. VB.NET is built on the Windows Server System to take major advantage of the OS and which comes with a host of different servers which allows for building, deploying, managing and maintaining Windows Based solutions. The Windows Server System is designed with performance as priority and it provides scalability, reliability.
The advantage of VB.NET includes;
· Rapid Application Development (RAD) Support.
· Powerful Windows-based Applications
· Simplified Deployment
· Powerful, Flexible, Simplified Data Access
· Improved Coding
· Direct Access to the OS Platform
· Object-Oriented Constructs
· COM Interoperability
The system uses Microsoft access 2007 as the database server. MS Access is desktop RDMS support small application with all features like relational query, different data types, joins, and query. Its benefits include;
· Easy to use and easy to deployment.
· Integration with Windows OS
· Import and Export of data in all major database system.
· Centralized Management
· Automating Tasks i.e. no need of manual updating.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF RESEARCH
The significance of this study is to use object oriented development processes and techniques in the automation of a billing system. Formal analysis and design were used to give adequate understanding to the object-oriented technique used. The major quest is to ease the problem and stress encountered in billing of customers and keeping records of stock list, customer lists, sales volume, and summary report.
In addition the application is window based making it usable by most systems in this part of the world which makes use of Microsoft windows operating system.
This project will be of benefit to:
· Shopping Mall/Supermarket
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study is limited to the human and material resources available to processes, procedures, and application of bill generation, with underlying security consideration. Specifically given the detailed of the products on the bill, this study tends to have as a major scope and achievements the following:
1. To create a computerized bill generation process and invoice
2. Customers’ details will be maintained on a database.
3. It will also help the firm to maintain their product lists, customer lists, and print the invoice.
4. To share the data from multiple systems in a multi-user environment.