- AN ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF BANK CREDIT ON AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- THE IMPACT OF PERFORMANCE EVALUATION THROUGH THE ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT ON INVESTMENT DECISIONS (A CASE STUDY OF LOGMAN NIGERIA PLC.)
- COMPENSATION MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A STUDY OF PZ CUSSIONS NIGERIA PLC)
- THE EFFECT OF FORWARD INTEGRATION ON PERFORMANCE OF MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY (A STUDY OF CADBURY NIGERIA PLC)
- ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF BANK CREDIT ON AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- EFFECTS OF PERFORMANCE EVALUATION THROUGH THE ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT ON INVESTMENT DECISIONS (A CASE STUDY OF LOGMAN NIGERIA PLC.)
- EFFECTS OF LABOUR TURNOVER ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF UNILEVER AND PZ NIGERIA PLS)
- IMPACT OF COMMERCIAL BANKS IN AGRICULTURAL FINANCING IN NIGERIA (A Case Study of First Bank Nigeria Plc.)
- THE IMPACT OF BANK FRAUD AND DISTRESS ON BANKING HABIT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK, GTB, UBA, UNION BANK AND ZENITH BANK)
- THE IMPACT OF ELECTRONIC BANKING ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BANKING IN NIGERIA (A Case Study of Eco Bank Plc)
IMPACT OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL ON EMPLOYEES PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BREWERY)
This study is basically on the “impact of performance appraisal outcome on employee’s productivity”. The research was conducted at Nigeria brewery plc, as the case study in order to ensure high productivity of product in an organization. It so examine the motivation, promotion, training, placement and job satisfaction within the employee’s so as appraise the job performance in an organization.
The data gathered was analysed with the use of Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS). The techniques used Chi-Square analysis and Percentage distribution.
The study was limited by time coupled with cost involved in conducting survey and getting the project work done.
The findings of the study revealed that objective and well planned high performance of employees productivity, regular training and retraining should be organized for those involved in appraisal programme.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHARPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.0 Background of the Study
1.1 Statement of the Problem
1.2 Objectives of the Study
1.3 Research Questions
1.4 Research Hypothesis
1.5 Significance of the Study
1.6 Scope of the Study
1.7 Limitation of the Study
1.8 Definition of Terms
CHARPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
2.0 Literature Review
2.1 Historical Background of the Case Study & Organization Chart
CHARPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Study Population
3.3 Sample Size & Sample Techniques
3.4 Nature of Data Collection
3.5 Restatement of research Questions
3.6 Restatement of Research Hypotheses
3.7 Instrument of Analysis
3.8 Method of Data Analysis
CHARPTER FOUR: DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.0 Data Presentation & Analysis
4.1 Analysis of Questionnaire
4.2 Testing of Hypotheses
CHARPTER FIVE: SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.1 Summary of Findings
5.4 Suggestions for Further Study
Appendix I : Questionnaire Cover LetterAppendix I : Questionnaire
1.0 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Management writers have written on the outcome of employee performance and its usefulness to business organization and so performance appraisal as an important personnel management function.
Personnel management is concerned with the systematic requirement of a competent working force whose human resources are effectively used through the control of occupational environment in a manner that develop employee's potential and enable them to contribute their services to the organization of which thy are integral part.
Thus, it is necessary that the performance of the employees are monitored, evaluated and control within the organization so that they can contribute their best to the attainment of the organization objectives as well as developing themselves.
Performance appraisal is defined as the process of reviewing individual's performance and progress in a job assessing his potential for future promotion. It is a systematic method of obtaining, analyzing and recording information about a person that is needed for the followings:
1. For better running of the business.
2: To help the manager improve the jobholder's performance and plan his career.
3. To assist the jobholders to evaluate his own performance and develop himself.
The usefulness of performance appraisal outcome includes promotion of employees, transfer, demotion and placement of employee on the job in which they are best suited. They study, as a whole tends to link employee development to their performance and establish the fact that there is a correlation between the two.
1:1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
There has constantly been the issue of the relationship between performance and appraising such performance objectively. Some employees have seen appraisal as just a mere routine practice that has no relevance to their promotion, placement jobs and planning for their training needs thus having little impact on their development process.
A central problem of appraisal is subjectively on the part of those that conduct the appraisal. Other problems that the study will provide ways of solving them are: -
1. Errors of appraisal: - type and means of solving them to make appraisal programme valid.
2. In appropriate use of appraisal methods.
3. Perhaps the most glaring of all the problems is the failure of organization to use appraisal result as a basis for employee promotion, training and placement. When this occur. It could be seen that the whole appraisal programme is a waste of effort and to make it meaningful and worth while the study will highlight the benefits of the use of appraisal system and it will also attempt to identify the way operational problem with a view to providing appropriate solutions.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Essentially, the study has its central aim of examining the level of performance appraisal in
1. To examine the performance appraisal programme of the organization
2. To examine the extent at which the appraisal result will meet the aspiration of the organization
3. To make necessary recommendations based on the findings and these will serve as a guide to the business organization.
1.3 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
As pointed above, the objectives of this study is to find out the relevance of performance appraised to employee's productivity. In doing this, the questions to be asked are
l. Of what uses is performance appraisal outcome to the organization.
2. Does employees actually need performance appraised?
3. Do the organization use the result of the appraisal programme for the development of the employee by using it to plan for their training, placement of the job and promoting then
4. Does your management believe in performance appraisal system?
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
The following hypotheses are formulated.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between performance appraisal outcome and employee's productivity.
Hi: There is significant relationship between performance appraisal outcome and employee's productivity.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between performance appraisal outcome attainment of corporate goal.
Hi: There is significant relationship between performance appraisal outcome attainment of corporate goal.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between' performance appraisal outcome and enhancement of productivity of the employees in an organization
Hi: There is significant relationship between performance appraisal outcome and the enhancement of productivity of the employee in an organization.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of the study will -be in two folds: Firstly, the study will provide a good base for general knowledge of the concept, as past work on the subject matter will be reviled. More also, it will be useful empirically practical use of performance appraisal in business organization. All problems associate with the use of the programmed will be ex-rayed and necessary solution provided.
Lastly, the study will be useful to the organization in that the recommendation from the finding of this research can be use as a means of improving the efficiency of employees in the organization. And lastly, the findings can be used in designing and effective appraisal system.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this research is to examine the impact of performance appraisal outcome on employee's productivity. The management and employees of
1.7 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
Also, this research faces a lot of problems among this are the problem of time factor which is grossly, money to execute this research work on the schedule problem of getting necessary on for the respondents and above all, the un co-operative attitude of the workers of the brewery in attending to my request.
1.8 DEF1NITION OF TERMS
Some of the terms used in this study are defined as follows:
APPRAISAL: It is the evaluation of an individual with respect to his performance on his job.
It is defined from two perspectives:
- It is the result` that people get on the job.
- It is whatever they do that affect the results.
PRODUCTIVITY: Refer to being productive or production of goods, it is also regarded as an output.
EMPLOYEE: Workers in an organization who performed functions as given or directed.
DEVELOPMENT: It aims at adding to the skills of employees, improving their general knowledge and altering their attitudes.
DEMOTION: A shift to a lower position in the hierarchy.
PLACEMENT: Assigning employees to their different jobs that they are best suited.
PROMOTION: A shift to higher position in the hierarchy, usually with added salary, statues and authority.
RECRUITMENT: This is the process of attracting or hiring candidates among the qualified ones.