- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COOPERATIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM A Study of Hill-Top Hotel
- THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE BANKING SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ONLINE STUDENT ADMISSION SYSTEM
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT AND PAYROL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM AS A TOOL FOR DECISION MAKING (A CASE STUDY OF WEMA BANK PLC)
- STANDARD COST ACCOUNTING SYSTEM AS AN AID TO MANAGEMENT CONTROL AND PLANNING (A CASE STUDY OF O.K PLAST)
- USE OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION SYSTEM AS A MANAGEMENT TOOL TO ENHANCE DECISION MAKING. (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA AIRSPACE MANAGEMENT AGENCY) (NAMA)
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF COMPUTERIZED DRUG INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
ONLINE LIBRARY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FOR STAFF AND STUDENTS
This project of “ONLINE LIBRARY MANAGEMENT” gives us the complete information about the library through internet. We can enter the record of new books and retrieve the details of books available in the library. We can issue the books to the students and maintain their records and can also check how many books are issued and stock available in the library all through on line. In this project we can maintain the late fine of students who returns the issued books after the due date.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 Statement of the problem
1.2 Aims and objectives
1.3 Research methodology
1.4 Scope of the study
1.5 Significance of the study
Definitions of library
What is on line library
Primary uses of the library
User classes and characteristics
Library electronic catalog database
Advantages of online library over manual
What are the advantages And disadvantages of using database
Software requirement Specification
Historical Background of the case study
Evaluation of the current system
Benefit of the current system
Problem of the current system
Technical details of solution to the problem
Architecture of the Proposed Design
System Implementation and Documentation
Choice of programming language
Choice of database management system
System Change Order
Appendix I Entity Relationship Diagram
Appendix II Source Code
LIST OF TABLES
Table 3.1 Members’ Table
Table 3.2 Books Table
Table 3.3 Loans Table
Table 3.4 Issues Table
Table 3.5 Data Table
Table 3.6 Add Books Table
Table 4.4.1 Conversion of Document Format to other Formats
Table 4.4.2 Conversion of Document Format to other Formats
Table 4.4.3 Conversion of Document Format to other Formats
Table 4.4.4 Conversion of Image Format to other Formats
Table 4.4.5 Conversion of Image Format to other Formats
Table 4.4.6 Conversion of Video Format to other Formats
LIST OF FIGURES
Figure 3.1 Architecture of the Propose System
Figure 4.7.1 Interface Logon Screen Prototype
Figure 4.7.2 Interface Member Registration Screen
Figure 4.7.3 Interface Member Information Once Login
Figure 4.7.4 Interface Main Search Page of Library Catalog
Figure 4.7.5 Home Page
Figure 4.7.6 Snap Shot of Membership
Figure 4.7.7 Snapshot of Issue of Books
Figure 4.7.8 Snapshot of Stock Maintenance
Figure 4.7.9 Snapshot of Returned Books
1.0. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Lagos state university campuses library maintains every record of the books and the student details manually. Borrowing books, returning books or viewing the available books at the library of the local university is currently done manually where in the students has to go to the library and check the available books at the library. Students check the list of books available and borrow the books if the book is a borrow book otherwise it is of waste for the students to check to the library to come to check for the books if the student doesn’t get the book. Then the librarian checks the student id and allows the member to check out the book and the librarian then updates the member database and also the books database. This takes at least one or two hours if the member is available at the near by place otherwise it may take more time.
We have decided to investigate the use of online library system. This system would be use by members who may be students or professors of the university to check the availability of the books and borrow the books, and by the librarian to update the database. The purpose of this document is to analyze and elaborate on the high-levl needs and features of the online library system. It focuses on the capabilities and the facilities provided by a library. They need a computerized system to maintain their daily transactions more efficiently and accurately.
Information technology has revolutionized the life of human beings’ and has made the lives easier by the various kinds of applications. In the light of the rapid changes with the use of IT, there are many tools, techmologies and the system have been produce and invented. In the modern world, time is a need for integration for all the processes, creation of paperless environment also ensures efficient task management. Nowadays all the businesses are shifting to computer based system. The purpose to having a computer based system is, it helps to increase the market share and it’s very easy for customers to use. This project is concerned with developing an “ONLINE LIBRARY SYSTEM FOR STAFF AND STUDENTS”.
In this system the library management becomes more efficient & easier to handle with its reliable system components. This project is aimed at developing an online library management system (LMS) for the college library. This is an intranet based application that can be accessed throughout the campus. This system can be used to search for books/magazines, reverse books, find out who is having a particular book, put in requests to buy a new book etc. This is one integrated system that contains both the user component and the librarian component. There are features like email notifications/reminders, report generators etc in this system.
The proposed system allows library staff to register and delete inactive students when needed and thereafter active students can reserve books online with their password and student id. The period which a student can borrow a book will be decided by the library staff in accordance with the library regulations. Return date will be automatically captured by the system and fines will be applied to students who do not return books on time. System will not allow students to reserve books if they have any pending fines.
System maintains the records of the books in a database with Author, Title, ISBN No and Category. The proposed system will have the feature of searching a book author, title, ISBN no and category. In addition to this, the new system will give various reports including books in demand, outstanding book list, student history, missing books etc. Only super administrator will have the authority to reverse a transaction where as every library staff can enter the students, books and other day to day transactions.
By implementing the proposed system, students will have the option of reserving a book online. This feature will help to reduce unnecessary work load of the library staff. Apart from that, this helps library staff and the management to make further decision based on the information provided by the system.
1.1 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM (PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION) AND THEORY BEHIND THE PROBLEM
Lagos state university (LASU) library systems are operated manually by group of people. In such situations many people involved in the process of managing the library such a way that to keep records regarding the books and students (borrowers), check the books manually, keep records on issued books etc.
All these things have to be carried out manually and if the library is large in content handling is also a problem. On the other hand keeping large amount of maintenance workers may cost a lot and it will not be efficient for a library. Manual record keeping is also not a reliable method as people tend to forget things.
On the borrower’s point of view, in manual system borrower can’t find a book exactly at once as they are not ordered well. Sometimes user might be searching for a book that is not available in the library in such situations people get annoyed or depressed. Therefore there should be a reliable way to manage the library system.
Problem definitions of the proposed system are listed below:
· Online system is needed.
· Internet is needed
· Web page is needed for heavy backup.
· Security is needed for login and password.
· If internet is not available at any moment then the system will be disturbed.
· Each and every entry of book transaction has to be entered in web site.
1.2. AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The aim of this project is to develop a system that can handle and mange the activities involved in a library in an efficient and reliable way.
The specific objectives are as follows:
• To develop a system that can replace the manual library managing system.
• To maintain proper inventory of books.
• To develop a database which stores user details & book detail.
• To develop the system documentation with detailed UML specification.
1.3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
This reviews the existing information system in an attempt to define the nature and scope of the project. It also present the methodology adopted in designing an online library management system for students and staff of LASU.
In developing of an online system the method of feasibility study were used, development of an online library management system for LASU is more of developing an information system; however the information in this scenario has to be more relevant to the outside world and in a good way to the university community. In carrying out a preliminary survey for the development of LASU online library, the present mode of information dissemination was looked into for necessary appraisal.
The most common means of managing or operating LASU library is by manual, and this has a lot of lapses and setback in our technology age. Some of the other limitations identified are;
• Manual processing of information which results in slow data retrieval, access and slow rate of information transmission.
• Important information is susceptible to corruption.
• Transaction involves a lot of problems.
• Inefficiency and slowness in information update.
• There is tendency of having data duplication as a result of lack of security of the data.
• In the outside world, there is a low level of awareness about what LASU library and what she has to offer. Etc.
Online library is an electronic information system posed at solving the above problems, by making available to users within and outside the university, an automated information system of key operations in the school library. It is also aimed at making the existence of LASU library known through the graphical, distributed and hypertext-based information system on the internet.
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The functionality of the system (all circulation, cataloging, reporting, searching) can be accessed at any work station on the college wide area network with a standard Browser (internet explorer, Mozilla fire fox).
The scopes of this project are as follows:
• To introduce new technology system into library management system of Lagos State University through automation.
• The college can make any portion of the library management functionality available via the internet for home and/or community access.
• The system requires no local application programming inorder to become operational.
• The system does not require any library management client applications to be installed on the work station.
• The system can work in a proxy environment.
• The institution can make use of it for providing information about author, content of the available books.
• Make a database of books/journals.
• Make a list of students/faculty that would be using the system.
• Create the front-page of the system giving a brief description about the system and a login box.
• Create the help-pages of the system in the form of Q&A. this will help you also when implementing the system.
• Create other sub-system like automatic notification, screens for various functions (like reservation, cancellation of reservation, purchase request for new books, approval page for the librarian etc.
• It can be used in campuses and modifications can be easily done according to requirements.
1.5. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In view of the stated research problem and underlying purpose of study, there are great benefits of the present research to LASU and its external campuses. There will be greater efficiency, also mutual borrowing of knowledge, skills and right attitudes on best practices in relation to Online Library Management.
Similarly, other higher institutions both public and private libraries will also find the results of this study very useful to their operations. Moreover the study will serve as a useful template for whoever wants to know more and better about online library should be done to promote a friendly environment to the users and administrators.