- THE EFFECT OF BIRTH ORDER ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF THE ADOLESCENTS, IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN AJEROMI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE
- SOCIO-PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS OF HOME CONFLICT AS PREDICATORS OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN LAGOS STATE
- A SURVEY OF PROBLEM AFFECTING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SOCIAL STUDIES CURRICULUM IN SOME SELECTED JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN ALIMOSHO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE.
- THE CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS OF TEACHING AND LEARNING VERBS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- EFFECT OF BIRTH ORDER ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF THE ADOLESCENTS, IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN AJEROMI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE
- PROBLEMS AND PROSPECT OF TEACHING OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS (A STUDY OF TWO SELECTED SECONDARY SHOOLS IN IFAKO-IJAIYE LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNDER EDUCATIONAL DISTRICT IV OF LAGOS STATE)
- SOCIO-PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS OF HOME CONFLICT AS PREDICATORS OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN ALIMOSHO LAGOS STATE
- THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE ON THE PERFORMANCE OF SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN IKEJA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA
- CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS OF TEACHING AND LEARNING VERBS IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- EFFECT OF STUDENTS’ ABILITIES, CLASS SIZE AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN BADAGRY LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE)
PROBLEMS FACING THE TEACHING OF ECONOMICS IN SECONDARY SCHOOL A SURVEY IN YABA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE
The project work was carried out to investigate the possible censes of the poor performance of students in Economics in the recent time vis-à-vis the teaching/learning of economics in the senior secondary level in Lagos State taking Yaba Local Government Area as a case study.
In conducting the research work, ten (10) secondary schools comprising six (6) public and four (4) private schools were selected with one hundred and fifty (150 students and thirty (30) teachers randomly selected an sample population separate questionnaire were drain on the students and teachers and their responses subjected to statistical analysis using percentage (%) and chi-square (X2).
Finally, findings were highlighted and recommendations that could attribute to good performance of students in economics given.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content vi-vii
1.1 Background of Study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem 3
1.3 Purpose of Study 3
1.4 Significance of Problem 3
1.5 Scope of Study 4
1.5 Research Question 5
1.6 Research Hypothesis 6
1.7 Definition of Terms 7
2.1 Introduction 8
2.2 Meaning of Attitude 8
2.3 Component of Attitude 10
2.4 Formation of Attitude 11
2.5 Educational Objective of Economics 13
2.6 Teaching of Economics in Senior
Secondary School 14
2.7 Implication of the Nature of Attitude to
Economics Education 15
2.8 Teachers Role I Inculcating Attitude 17
2.9 Factors Affecting Performance of
Students in Economics 17
3.1 Introduction 19
3.2 Research Design 19
3.3 Sample Size 20
3.4 Selected Schools 20
3.5 Research Procedure and Data Analysis 21
3.6 Administration of the instrument 33
3.7 Method of Scoring data analyses 33
4.1 Data Presentation and Result 22
4.2 Bio-Data of Students 22
4.3 Bio-Data of Teachers 31
4.4 Hypothesis 40
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
5.0 Introduction 50
5.1 Summary 50
5.2 Conclusion 50
5.3 Recommendations 52
5.5 Conclusion 51
5.6 Suggestion for Further Study 51
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
History has if that Adam Smith was the first writer to produce a work devoted to economics (Adebayo 1980). It is an incontrovertible fact that Adam Smith ideas pervade all aspects oft economics knowledge today. His wealth of knowledge would continue to be an indispensable took of reference for generations to come.
Over the years, a considerable number people have contributed immensely to the development of economics. The subject has expanded considerably covering all issues and problems relating to how the society uses its resources toward achieving a desirable standard of economics in nation building can not be over-emphasized. Its function is becoming increasing important in that without it, multiple transaction of a modern business would be impossible the Federal, State and Local government apply the use of economics by mean of tax application to generate revenue for daily operational running’s.
The teaching of economics in schools attempt to produce a course which:-
a. Is relevant to the learners is needs and experience
b. Stresses the fundamental unity of economics
c. Add a cultural dimension to the learning of economics
d. Lays adequate and broad-based foundation for subsequent specialist study e.g accountancy, finance, banking etc.
e. Respect both the psychological and philosophical maturation of the learners.
However, despite the immense contribution of economics to nation building, its to notice a decline in performance and in general attitude secondary school students in the subject as revealed in the terminal examinations in schools where the researcher had their teaching practice.
It is therefore expected that if we are going to have a ready way in the pursuit of economics, the subject economics should be taken with a serious mind. Instead, what we are witnessing in our schools today is the erroneous attitudes of students to the study of economics, such attitudinal behaviour ranges from lack of open mindedness, curiosity, interest, diligence motivation to willingness. The attitudinal behaviour varies from age to age sex to sex and at different levels of education.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
It has been observed, that inspite of the importance of economics to nation building, the performance of students of senior secondary schools in the subject is not encouraging this the researchers noticed in the terminal examination results in different schools in Ikeja Local government in Lagos State during their teaching practice in the area.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
Since the principal goal for the study of economics in senior secondary schools curriculum is to prepare the students to meet any economics challenges, the researchers were of the opinion that the project work would reveal some vital information among which are:
a. The reason why students have not been taking the subject seriously.
b. Teaching & learning habit of teachers and students of economics in senior secondary schools.
c. The professional skill of the teachers of economics in schools.
d. Level of educational facilities in schools.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study will endeavour to find out the attitude of students towards learning of economics. The result of this research work will be of immense value to economics teachers, students and the society in general. Knowing the factors influencing the students performance in economics will enable teachers to look out for possible solutions.
It will also help researchers to know and be aware of some of the possible problems they will face when they become qualified teachers. The finding of the study would also help the teachers to detect and cope in the attitudinal behaviours that may be exhibited by their students during the course of teaching economics and thereby adopt better method of teaching the subject.
1.5 SCOPE OF STUDY
The research work which focuses on problems facing teaching –learning economics in senior secondary school a survey limited to Yaba Local Government Area of Lagos State shall be conducted in six (2) public secondary schools and four (2) private secondary schools. The selected schools includes:-
1. Saint Finbars Grammar School Yaba
2. C.M.S Grammar School, Yaba
Private Secondary Schools:
i. Lady of Apostle Girl High School, Yaba
ii. Methodist High school Yaba
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
i. Does educational facilities have any impact on effective teaching learning of economics in teachers and students?
ii. Does home background of the students have significant effect on their performance?
iii. Do methods adopted by teachers of economics affect students attitudes towards learning the subject?
iv. To what extent does the students self concept affects their performance in economics in senior secondary school level?
v. What are possible factors responsible for poor performance of students of senior secondary school level in economics in Yaba Local Government Area of Lagos State?
1.7 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Ho: There is no relationship between the methods adopted by the teachers of economics and attitudes of students towards learning the subject.
Hi: There is relationship between the methods adopted by the teachers of economics and attitudes of students towards learning the subject.
Ho: There is no relationship between the home background of the students and their performance.
Hi: There is relationship between th4e home backgrounds of the students their performance.
Ho: There is no significant difference between the personal interest of the students towards economics and their attitudes towards learning the subject.
Hi: There is significant difference between the personal interest of the students towards economics and their attitudes towards learning the subject.
H0: There is no significant difference in the impact of good educational facilities and student’ performance in economics.
Hi: There is significant difference in the impact of good educational facilities and student’ performance in economics.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
· Cognitive learning: This refers to achievement by mental process such as reasoning, remembering and recall. It helps in solving problem, developing new ideas and evaluation.
· Facilities:- This could be human or non- human resources that facilitate teaching/learning.
· Performance: The term is used to refer to grade attainment in academics or in academics or in other area of life.
· Professionalism: This refers to expected standard of beahviour and performance of the professionals. It includes the character, spirit and methods that distinguish a professional from an amateur.
· Psychomotive earning: This has to do with the development of skills which requires efficient co-ordination between our brains and muscles such as reading, writing, skipping, jugging, balancing etc.
· Qualified Teacher: This refers to teachers that acquired professional skill in teaching career.