- THE EFFECT OF GOVERNMENT EXPORT PROMOTION POLICIES ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF EXPORT BUSINESS IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF THE NIGERIAN EXPORT PROMOTION COUNCIL [NEPC])
- ROLE OF BANKING SYSTEM IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIAN ECONOMY (A Case Study of Nigerian Breweries Plc)
- THE EFFECT OF PENSIONS FUND MANAGEMENT ON RETIREES IN NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
- PRIVATIZATION AND COMMERCIALIZATION OF GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF PHCN)
- THE EFFECT OF MARKETING FINANCIAL SERVICES IN DEREGULATION ECONOMY BANKING INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA)
- EFFECT OF UNEMPLOYMENT ON NIGERIA ECONOMY
- THE EFFECT OF BIRTH ORDER ON THE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OF THE ADOLESCENTS, IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN AJEROMI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE
- EFFECT OF PENSIONS FUND MANAGEMENT ON RETIREES IN NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
- AN ECONOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF THE IMPACT OF URBANIZATION AND UNEMPLOYMENT ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIAN ECONOMY
- IMPACT OF CAPITAL MARKET ON NIGERIAN ECONOMY
THE EFFECT OF PRIVATIZATION OF GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS ON NIGERIAN ECONOMY
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of content
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Research questions in the cause of this study
1.4 Purpose of the study
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Limitation of the study
1.8 Definition of terms.
2.0 Literature review
2.1 Development of public enterprises
2.2 the Nigerian Enterprises Experience
2.3 failure of public enterprise
2.4 privatization of commercialization decree
2.5 The emergence of privatization and commercialization
2.6 Benefits of privatization and commercialization
2.7 Challenges faced by privatization
2.8 The impact of privatization
2.9 Guidelines on privatization and commercialization
2.10 Response to poor performance of the public infrastructure.
3.1 Research method
3.2 Research design
3.3 Research strategy
3.4 Research instrument
3.5 Source of Data
3.6 Sample size.
4.1 Analysis of data and presentation result of findings
4.2 Discussion of findings
4.3 Test interpretation hypothesis
5.1 Summary, conclusion and recommendation
Privatization is a relatively new word not until about a decade ago, it made on prominent feature in the politics and economy of many countries. It is defined as the process of changing the ownership of government companies to private ownership through the sale of the shares of such companies to individual who will manage the companies efficiently and profitably.
Originally privatization was a feature of developed nations, they adopted privatization as more of a political rather than an economic policy.
The believe was that the private sector was more effective and efficient in managing the resources. Therefore, the government decides to sell public corporation to the private sector which with its profit oriented motive was expected to perm better n running those companies and hence contributed more to the economic development they belief the political stand of the government in power will be strengthened and consolidated with time.
However, the economic aspect of privatization it is has dominate the political aspect ad today it is adopted as a major economic reform policy.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Nigerian economy has been at a low ebb since the 80’s with large debts and unprecedented high rate of unemployment retrenchment of workers which gives rise to a significant reduction in capacity utilization shortages of essential raw material, dwindling foreign exchange earnings and a continuous rise in inflation. Against this backdrop, statement of probes to be investigated shall include:
1. Privatization of government parastatals its effect on Nigeria economy
2. What are the benefits of privatization, is going to benefits all the citizens or not.
3. Will privatization make the cost of utilities higher or reduce it.
4. what is involved in the privatization of a major utility 9NEPA)
5. Is it only the rich that would benefit from the privatization (i.e in terms of buying of shares).
6. Will government still have interest in the privatized companies or not.
7. Are we undertaking privatization to satisfy foreigners or not,
8. How much money is the government going to make from the privatization.
9. How long is the privatization programme going to last?
1.3 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH QUESTION
This shall in clued researchable question like:
1. Is it only the rich that would benefit from the privatization? I.e. in terms buying shares.
2. Will privatization the cost of utility higher?
3. Why are we privatizing utilities like NEPA and NITEL when they are already commercialized?
4. What been the experience of privatization in other developing countries?
5. How much money is the government going to make form privatization?
6. How long is privatization programme going to last?
1.4 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The objective of this work is to examine the effect of the Nigerian economy as a whole. It is aimed at finding out the reason behind the adoption of the policy, how it is implemented and how the government intends to ensure its success and effectiveness. The two main sector of economy i.e. The public sector and the private sector the economy, their responds to the policy, its impact on them.
How the programme or policy is going to be implemented and also reducing the present hardship encountered in the country due to inflation. And also whether this policy which was of developed nations can solve the economic problems of developing nations.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This term paper work will be of importance and useful to the research students in al disciplines, the nations at large and privatized organization.
To the researcher to provides me with an insight” knowledge of the federal government dream and decisions for selling out unprofitable co-operation that gulps millions of the nations financial resources to the private hands.
To the student it can serve as a body of knowledge, a sources of secondary data and a base for conducting future research on related studies.
To the nation at large the is significance in that the policy concerns the populace and it will provide the citizen of Nigeria with a detail knowledge of the programme, it ‘s implication and government determination to solve this problem.
To the privatized organization the researcher will serve as a base for self auditing of their performance.
1.6 SCOPE OF LIMITATION OF STUDY
For the purpose of this study the researcher will serve and discuss mainly on the implementation of the policy.
How it is going to include almost every citizen n the federation. How the shares will be allotted out i.e. how the shares will be advertised by the national council on privatization.
The time-table for the programme guidelines and also how the national council on privatization will supervise the implementation of the programe by the Bureau of public enterprise (BPE).
In the execution of this study term paper, certain problems were encountered by the researcher. These were time factor, financial constraint and the availability of authentic resources.
The time limit within which the study has to be completed and submitted was itself in view of the fact that other academic work has to continue.
One of the major limitation of the study is getting the officers of various parastatals to provide information which are relevant for the attainment of the work on term paper.
The last financial course not the least of the constraint was financial constraint.
Resource were scarce relatively to the need for them. Interview had to be adjoined on countless occasion for one reason or the other.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
CAPITAL MARKET: The Nigerian stock exchange were shares are exchanged through buying and selling.
EQUITY: Ordinary share capital to an enterprises.
COMMERCIALIZATION: Commercialization involves
changing the way government owned companies operate to ensure that they run commercially ad that they profit.
PRIVATIZATION: privatization is the process of
changing the ownership of government companies (public enterprise) to private ownership through the sale of shares of such companies to individuals who will manage the companies effectively and profitability.
INDIGENISATION: The process of transferring over
enterprises from foreign investors into private Nigerian investors.
PRIVATE ENTERPRISE: Enterprise owner or controlled ( by
shares) by private enterprise.
PUBLIC ENTERPRISE: Enterprise owned or controlled (by
shares) by the government
QUOTED INVESTMENT: shares of an enterprise listed on the