- FINANCIAL IMPLICATION OF INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM IN AN ORGANISATION (A Case Study of Mercury Microfinance Bank)
- AN ASSESSMENT OF BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT AND ITS IMPACT ON ORGANIZATIONAL GROWTH (A Case Study of Oil Down Stream in Nigeria.)
- IMPACT OF THE BANKING SECTOR ON DISCHARGE OF SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY BY SMALL SCALE BUSINESS ORGANISATION (A CASE STUDY OF TASHO ENTERPRISE AND LUWOJU HOTEL)
- IMPACT OF PRIVATIZATION ON BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA
- IMPACT OF SALES PROMOTION IN BUSINESS ORGANISATION (A Stusy of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.)
- IMPACTS OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY ON BUSINESS ORGANISATION PERFORMANCE (CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC: IGANMU BRANCH)
- THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATION EFFECTIVENESS (A Study of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc)
- THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATION EFFECTIVENESS (A Case Study of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc)
- THE IMPACT OF SALES PROMOTION IN A BUSINESS ORGANISATION (A Case Study of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.)
THE IMPACT OF COMPUTERIZATION OF ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN A BUSINESS ORGANISATION
Computer as an automated sophisticated high technology has come to have potential significant affect on business profession such a accounting.
With modern days, development accountants specialized knowledge and expertise is directed to collecting, collating, interpreting and communicating a wide range of accounting information needed for a sound day-to-day control of accounting system in a business organisation can be analysed both positively and negatively but nevertheless the positive effects are much more than the negative effects.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
The strategic analysis of problems facing a computerized accounting system and by implication it means that the accuracy of these statement is very important to be dealt with as it affects the extent of dependability an subsequent utilization of information.
The statement had to do with computerized accounting system has been able to have impact or effect on the volume of work quality of services demanded by clients, savings time of customers and to effect changes in cost revenue and profit of a business organization.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
(1) Describe the accounting procedures in operation.
(2) Explain the main accounting principles adopted.
(3) Find out if the positive effects of computerization and accounting system in a business organisation are more than the negative effects.
(4) The effect of computerized accounting system, how the computer has become relevant to the practice of accounting in a business organisation in recording business transactions and events of a financial nature, with a view of preparing financial statement and alerting such statement.
(1) What are the accounting procedures in the Guardian Newspaper Limited?
(2) What are the positive and negative effects of computerized accounting system in a business organisation?
PLAN OF STUDY
The project shall contain five chapters:
CHAPTER ONE: This chapter deals with the background of the study and the purpose of study. The aim of the research question is to give a clear focus of the study. It shall also deal with the significance, scope and limitation of the study.
CHAPTER TWO: This deals with the evaluation of accounting division and different phases of computer system. The objective of accounting information system and computer and the new Generation accountants shall also be treated. The effect of computerized accounting system in a business organisation shall be dealt with.
CHAPTER THREE: This shall deal with the method of data analysis, collection of data, research design, target population and quantitative analysis of collected data.
CHAPTER FOUR: This data mainly with finding on research question and data on respondent.
CHAPTER FIVE: This contains the summary of all major findings and conclusion based on the analysis. Finally, recommendation will be made.
The method that shall be used for obtaining adequate information as regards this study shall be collection of published work like journals, newspaper, magazines and personal interviews that would be carried in the staff of Guardian Newspaper Nigeria Limited.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of Contents viii
1.1 Introduction 1
1.2 Background of Study 1
1.3 Statement of Problem 3
1.4 Purpose of Study 4
1.5 Research Question 5
1.6 Hypothesis 5
1.7 Significance of Study 5
1.8 Scope and Limitation of Study 6
1.9 Summary 6
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Brief Introduction to Computer 7
2.2 Computer System and Evolution of Computer
2.3 Evaluation of Accounting Division 11
2.4 Objectives of Accounting Information System 15
2.5 Application Software in Guardian Newspaper Limited 16
2.6 Computer and the New Generation Accountants 19
2.7 Computerized Accounting Implementation and
2.8 Effects of Computerized Accounting System in a
Business Organisation 22
3.1 Introduction 24
3.2 Research Design 24
3.3 Administration of Data Schedule 24
3.4 Quantitative Analysis of Collected Data 25
3.5 Collection of Data 25
3.6 Hypothesis 26
3.7 Target Population 26
3.8 Limitation of Methodology 27
3.9 Method of Data Analysis 27
PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
4.1 Introduction 28
4.2 Percentage Analysis of Respondents Bio-Data 28
4.3 Test of Hypothesis 42
SUMMARY, RECOMMENDATION AND CONCLUSION
5.1 Summary 45
5.2 Recommendation 46
5.3 Conclusion 47
Computer as an automated sophisticated high technology, has come to have potential significant effect on business profession such as accounting.
With modern days development accountants specialized knowledge and expertise is directed to collecting, collating, interpreting and communicating a wide range of accounting information needed for a sound day-to-day control of the use of resources. The impact o computerization of accounting system in a business organisation can be analysed with positively and negatively but nevertheless the positive effects are much more than the negative effects.
1.2 BACKGROUND OF STUDY
Accounting practices have changed exceptionally and rapidly in the last decades, particularly because of changes of laws and standards. Accountants and goes through stages in the preparation of financial statements and other accounts.
First is the dependence on foreign standards such as International Accounting Standards (IAS) Financial accounting Standard Board, Besides the issuing of Statement of Accounting Standards (SAS), the Nigerian Accounting Standard Board (NASB) is saddled with two major responsibilities.
1. To ensure that financial reporting satisfy legal requirement stipulated in company and Allied Matters Acts of 1990.
2. To ensure that the prepared financial statements and accounting confirm with international standard (NASB), 1984. Accounting system in a business organisation is changing with new markets springing up such as the proliferation of banking establishment and establishments of new newspaper.
These new establishments usually computerized their operations. Some of them employed Data Base Management system (DBMS) like Newswatch magazine. The employment of computer bring about a reduction in the time taken to process data and produce output, easier access to store data, increasing processing capacity without an increase in staff and an overall improvement in the quality of management information, better management report that are relevant to manager’s work, produced more accurately and on time due to the positive effects of computerization. Coping with effects of computerization in accounting system in a business organisation which brought about changes necessitates the inclusion of courses in data processing, system analysis and designs in the examination of most professional bodies like I.C.A.N and C.I.M.A. Infact, in many companies nowadays where computers are used extensively, their accountants are sent on further training system analysis and design.
1.3 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The strategic analysis of problems facing a computerized accounting system and by implication, it means that the accuracy of these statement is very important to be dealt with as it affects the extent of dependability and subsequent utilization of information.
The statement has to do with how computerized accounting system has been able to have impact of effects on the volume of work, quality of services demanded by clients, saving time of customers and to effect changes in cost, revenue and profit of an business organisation.
1.4 PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this project is to know:
1. The effects of computerized accounting system, how the computer has become relevant to the practice of accounting in a business organisation, in recording business transactions and events of a financial nature with a view to preparing financial statement and alerting such statements.
2. Describe the accounting procedure in operation.
3. Explain the main accounting principles adopted.
4. Find out if the positive effects of computerization and accounting system in a business organisation are more than the negative effects.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
At the end of this research critical examination and analysis would have to been given the following questions
1. What are the positive and negative effects of computerized accounting system in a business organisation?
2. What impact has computer played in the accounting system in areas of services, time savings, cost reduction and revenue generated?
3. How can computer be used to operate on:
(a) Trading, profit and loss account
(b) Balance sheet statements
(c) Statements of sources and uses of finds
4. What are the accounting procedures in the Guardian Newspaper Limited?
5. Is the positive effects more than the negative effects.
Ho: There is positive effect of computerization of accounting system in a business organisation.
Ho: These is no positive effect of computerization of accounting system in a business organisation.
1.7 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
Computer has truly become a part of everyday life, though some people see it on a negative side as making more and more people lazy by taking over their jobs and roles. Despite these waves of criticism, its utilization has continuously increased factors of production in an accounting business organisation. As in most profession, the use of the electronic data processions in accounting has presented two sides:
1. One that threatens the professional in the field vis-a-vis their roles and
2. The sides that hold promise to the study problem.
1.8 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF STUDY
Accounting applications can be broadly divided into three (3) namely:
1. Financial Accounting
2. Management Accounting/Administrative Accounting
3. Additive Accounting
However, because of time constraint, as indicated by the time allowed for this study and because of need to afford detailed and not surface treatment of the effects of computerized accounting system in a business organisation, this study is limited to only financial and management accounting operations of the Guardian Newspaper Limited.
The chapter has dealt with the introductory aspect of this research work, issues like statement of problem, purpose of study, background of the study, scope and limitation, others are highlighted.