- AN EVALUATION OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING TECHNIQUES ON ORGANIZATION DECISION MAKING PROCESS (A CASE STUDY OF CADBURY NIGERIA PLC, IKEJA, LAGOS)
- THE IMPACT OF CREDIT RISK MANAGEMENT IN COMMERCIAL BANKS (A CASE STUDY OF UBA PLC)
- IMPACT OF CORPORATE LEVEL MANAGEMENT ON THE EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE (A Case Study of Fidelity Bank Plc.)
- IMPACT OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATIONAL GROWTH (A Case Study of Lawrenzo Cargo and Logistics Ltd.)
- EFFECT OF EMPLOYEES PARTICIPATION IN DECISION MAKING ON ORGANISATION PERFORMANCE (A STUDY OF NIGERIA BAG MANUFACTURING PLC)
- THE IMPACT OF HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEES’ PRODUCTIVITY IN NIGERIA BREWERIES PLC
- THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEES’ PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR (A STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA)
- IMPACT OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT ON THE OPERATION OF SMALL SCALE ENTERPRISES IN NIGERIA
- IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEES’ PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA)
- THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON ORGANISATION EFFECTIVENESS (A Study of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc)
THE IMPACT OF DELEGATION ON MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING IN FIRST BANK PLC
The topic of this study is the impact of delegation on management decision making in first bank Plc Onitsha “The researcher used oral interview and questionnaire together, data collected were analyzed using simply average and percentage techniques. This is are the finding; Autocratic style of leadership negatively affect the organization, management of the first bank plc do not involve their workers in decision making, that there was no two ways communication channel in first bank plc, Onitsha, recommendation: first bank plc Onitsha should place high emphasis on direct participation of workers in management decision making, since it is a fact that workers are the bedrock of organizational survival, democratic system of leadership should be adopted and encouraged in order to maintain two ways communication channel which will boast the moral; of the employed as well as increase in productivity, management should regard the workers as partners in program by creating avenue of getting feedback from workers to whom duties have been delegated, In conclusion, when the above findings and recommendation are adequately considered, there should be harmony and improvement in first bank plc Onitsha. Organization should therefore put into practice the concept of delegation of duties, responsibilities and authority for abundant fruit to reap through a better and a purposeful decision.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Approval page ii
Table of contents vi
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem 4
1.3 Objective of study 5
1.4 Significance of the study 6
1.5 Research questions 7
1.6 Scope / Delimitation of the study 8
1.7 Definition of Terms 8
2.1. Concept of Delegation 10
2.2. Theoretical framework 12
2.3 Delegation – Authority and Responsibility 16
Research Design and Methodology
3.1. Design of the study 18
3.2. Area of study 18
3.3. Population of the study 18
3.4. Sample and Sampling techniques 19
3.5. Instrument for data collection 19
3.6. Validation of the instrument 21
3.7. Distribution and Retrieval of Instrument 21
3.8. Method of data analysis 21
Data Presentation and Analysis 23
Summary of Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations.
5.1 Summary of findings 29
5.2 Conclusion 30
5.3 Recommendations 30
5.4 Limitations of the study 32
5.5 Suggestions for further Research 32
Appendix A 35
Appendix B 36
The concept of delegation of authority as it happens in industries services and business organization has altered money psychologists and educationist. These great people have carried out series of research on it with each, there coming up with a theory as it affect decision making organizations.
Yet no one theory or negotiation can alone satisfactory explains the concept. This is because of the complex in human behavior.
Delegation means entrusting to or duplicating or representing.
Management is described as a socially process entailing responsibility of an effective planning and regulations of operation of achieving the objective of a business organization in the most efficient way.
However, all organization is it small or large has to take decision. The purpose of decision making as earlier said, it is to direct human behavior towards a future goals. Decision-making is the selection from among alternative that have skills knowledge, experience on jobs duties. There should be need for a decision making in any plan; there must be decision on to take. Therefore, it can be said that planning leads to decision guided by organization policy and objectives. Therefore, planning in the other hands plays the major roles in decision making, it has to do deciding in advance what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and how result can be evaluated.
First bank of Nigeria plc was established in 1894 as bank of British West Africa. It metamorphosed into its current name in 1979, and true to its name, it is now the biggest bank in Nigeria with assets over 700 billion Nigeria. In repositioning the bank for both domestic and global competition it had recourse to raising additional capital. The bank achievement was again reinforced when it becomes the first bank gusted company in Nigeria to achieve the feat of hitting the union naira work in market capitalization.
The bank offers retail banking services, corporate taking services, E- banking services and card services. The banks customer service is good. Interbrain connectivity is good except for certain occasions, when there are issues of network failure that can be annoying. On these occasions the ATM machines will not dispense cash and you cannot cash a cheque that is from another bank even if it’s another first bank branch.
Though many Nigeria network services provides have this terrible habit of charging out-throat fees and providing network connectivity. The bank has good success wish assuring and managing loans, recent promote has seen the bank offer winners mouth-watering cash price.
For some years now, records have shown that many organizations are on decline or have totally shutdown because of the management incapability of taking right decision with the right people and at the right time. There are many problems associated with delegation of authority with regards to make good decision for the some employer do not know, the important of employees participation and satisfaction and able to achieve better result in short ensure that delegates his authorities to a capable hand, and at the same time, authority should be delegated with equal responsibility. The research work will enable the management to know the answer of the following.
i. What are the effects of delegation will about equal responsibility?
ii. What are the impacts of delegation on management decision making?
1.3 Objective of the Study
The major task or objective of this study is to identify and provide solution to delegate problem as they affect organization decision-making. A lot of research has been made in the area of management delegation. Attempt will be made to identify some of the findings of this research under Nigeria environment assigning to them any task to perform. They manager must not only delegate routine matter, but also task repairing the use of initiatives.
Objectives of this study therefore include the following:
1. To show that effective and efficient decision-making process could be enhance through effective delegation.
2. To examine the under living principles of delegation as it relates to decision making.
3. To find solution to some of the already existing problems of delegation.
4. To show that delegation of authority could be effectively implemented.
5. To investigate on the cause of poor delegation on management decision making.
6. To determine whether to delegation strategy employed first bank plc Onitsha, has help improve decision-making in the bank.
7. To identify strategies that can be implemented in order to improve management decision-making through delegation.
1.4 Significance of the study
It can scan from the problem started that business organization does not employ delegation in management in decision-making. It is noted that the study will help the bank and other firm to adopt strategies that will improve the impact of delegation of their decision-making process. The study also will the organization to know that the success of a business depend also on good image of the company and will also help the researchers knowledge about the various strategies available and how they can be applied to improve the company perform of the business.
Above all, the study will also help people to know the value of delegation and it can used to improve business information.
1. Does impact of delegation on management decision-making investigate on the course of poor delegation?
2. Does underling principles of delegation relates to decision-making?
3. Does any leadership style adopted through organization in decision-making?
4. Does effective and efficient decision-making process could be enhance through effective delegation?
5. Is there any significant relation between delegation and commitment to work?
6. Can production process be faster through delegation of authority?
1.6 Scope/Delimitation of the study.
These scope of the study as restricted to the importance feature on the impact of delegation on management decision-making in First Bank Plc Onitsha. The researcher intends to cover the area of management decision-making in First Bank Plc Onitsha.
1.7 Definition of terms.
It is necessary to define accurately some of the unfamiliar and terminology used in this study.
This is necessary because the meaning of the words s not in the words but is use. The various concepts used are defined as follows:
Delegation: This is the organization that can manage the resource to achieve the organizational goals and objectives. It can also be in a position of business organization one can undertake the task of planning and at any level.
Task: This implies to a piece of work assigned to someone to do or activity that needs to be accomplished within a given period of time.
Responsibility: Is the obligation to carry out certain attitude with accountability for performance.
Authority: The degree of description in organization position conferring the persons occupying this position, the right to use their description and judgment and decision-making. And also involves intention, device, opinion, influence or command.
Subordinate: A lower staff who is answerable to supervisions or boss in managerial or inferior class or rank or subject to authority.
Duty: what someone is obligated to do in term of agreement, is also act or course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, low or religion. It can also be moral or legal obligation, a responsibility or visit or other undertaking done from a sense of moral obligation rather than for pleasure.