- EVALUATION OF CONTRIBUTION OF COMMERCIAL BANK TO THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGEIRA (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- AN ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF BANK CREDIT ON AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- ASSESSMENT OF CONTRIBUTION OF COMMERCIAL BANK TO THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGEIRA (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- THE EFFECT OF GOVERNMENT EXPORT PROMOTION POLICIES ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF EXPORT BUSINESS IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF THE NIGERIAN EXPORT PROMOTION COUNCIL [NEPC])
- ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF BANK CREDIT ON AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC)
- THE EFFECTS OF GOVERNMENT FUNDING SCHEMES ON DEVELOPMENT OF SMEs IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF SMIEIS)
- IMPACT OF MANPOWER PLANNING ON ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (A Case Study of Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc)
- IMPACT OF PRIVATIZATION ON BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA
- IMPACT OF LABOUR TRAINING ON EMPLOYEES PRODUCTIVITY IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA ECONOMY (A Study of Nigeria Postal Service)
- THE ROLE OF SMALL SCALE BUSINESS ON THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ALABA INTERNATIONAL MARKETING)
THE IMPACT OF TAXATION AS AN AID TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN ANAMBRA STATE ( A CASE STUDY OF NNEWI NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, NAMBRA STATE, NIGERIA).
This research wok, treated impact of taxation as an aid to economic development. this research work was done to findout if actually there is an impact of taxation as aid to economic development. this research also became necessary in order to bring to the proper understanding of the enquirer the best ways to solve such problems connected with the taxation especially; what is taxable and the assessment of
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of contents
CHAPTER ONE: introduction
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of problem
1.3 Objective of the study
1.4 Research Question
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Assumptions of the study
1.8 Definition of operational terms
CHAPTER TWO: REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.2 Definition of tax and types
2.3 Incidence of taxation
2.4 Principles of taxation
2.5 Elements of taxation
2.6 The importance of taxation
2.7 Appraisal of some tax legislation
2.8 Structure of Administration of Nigeria Tax system
2.9 The problems of taxation and its function
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.1 Research Methodology
3.2 Area of the study
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sample method
3.5 Research Instrument
3.6 Validity of Reliability of research instruments
3.7 Source of data
3.8 Method of investigation
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
4.1 Data presentation and summary of results
4.2 Test of Hypothesis
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY OF FINDINGS / CONCLUSIOIN AND RECOMMENDATION
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY:
One of the major functions of any government especially developing countries such as Nigeria is the provision of infrastructural services such as electricity, pipe-borne water, hospital, schools, good roads and as well as ensure a rise in per capital income, poverty alleviation to mention a few.
For their services to be adequately provided, government should have enough revenue to finance them. The task of financing these enormous responsibilities is one of the major problems facing the government. Based on the limited resources of government, there is need to carry the citizens (governed) along hence the imposition of tax on all taxable individuals and companies to augment government financial position. To this end, government have always enacted various tax laws and reformed existing ones ot stand the taste of time. They include income Tax management Act (ITMA), companies income tax Decree (CITD), Joint Tax Borad (JIB) ect.
All these are aimed at ensuring adherence to tax payment and discouraging tax evasion and avoidance. For the purpose of this study, the researcher would be concerned with the impact of taxation as an aid ot the economic development of Anambra state (Nigaeria).
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The first need of any modern government is to generate enough revenue which is indeed “the breath of its nostrils”. Thus taxation is by far the most significant source of revenue for the government
We shall also look at the following issues and offer recommendations:
1. Problems affecting he successful operation of tax system in
2. How ot determine the Assessable income
3. Process of tax administration in
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The general objective of the study is to assess the contribution of taxes towards the growth of the Anambra state economy.
However, the specific objective of the study includes:
1. To examine the relevance of taxation in Anamba state
2. To determine why people feel cheated when it comes to tax.
3. To determine the extent government has been using revenue generated form tax.
4. To examine how tax rate affects the rate of investment in the economy.
5. To know general desirability of firms to invest of tax incentive measures.
Generally, the work is done to find out if tax constitutes the bulk of government revenues and to erase the erroneous that it is exploitation by government for their selfish interest.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
These are the questions researcher ask during the research process to help in gathering information or seeking for answers during the research, questions are the following:
1. What is taxation?
2. What ar3e the classifications of taxation?
3. How do people react to payment of tax?
4. Which system of tax is more accepted by people?
5. What are the major problem affecting the
6. What is the rate of tax evasion and avoidance?
7. How would you assess the
8. Who are the people to pay tax?
9. Which people are exempted from paying tax?
10. Can your nation grow economically without taxation?
11. How would you compare tax revenue with revenue from other sources?
12. Does taxation make positive impact of life of a nation?
13. Are there enough workers to carryout this assignment?
1.6 SIGNIFICNACE OF THE STUDY
ONE OF THE MOST FREQUENTLY DISCUSSED ISSUES IN Nigeria is how to solve the economic hardship in the country and how to create an industrial base that can be guarantee self sustaining economic development. also one wonders why a country which is richly endowed with the necessary human and material resources and which the people pay tax has been turned a heavily indebted country. The study will afford us the opportunity to know the roles taxation play in the Anambra state economy, such roles includes:
1. Taxation is a major source of revenue to he government
2. Revenue generated form tax enables government performs its functions effectively.
3. Taxation acts as an instrument of fiscal policy
4. The impact of tax on small business in the state.
5. The study will in addition reveal if there are other better sources of government funding.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study covers critical examinations on the impact of taxation on Anambra state economic development. it will also analyze other related issues such as structure and administrative machinery of tax in Anambra state and their associated problems. The essence of this digression is to possibly find out the obstacle if any, that hinder the effective collection & administration of tax in the state.
1.8 ASSUMPTIONS OF THE STUDY
The researcher in carrying out this study will make the following assumptions:
1 That the data that will be used area true & fair figures of taxes actually collected by the federal government in each year of assessment.
2 That the data will be authentic and can be relied on for further research work on the topic
3 That the data is going to form the basis of the research work.
1.9 DEFINITION OF OPERATIONAL TERMS
Tax: A compulsory levy by the government on its citizen for the provision of public goods & services.
Tax Base: The object which is taxed for instance personal income, company profit. The combined value of everything such as income, property, and other assets in a city, country, etc. on which tax is charged.
Tax Rate: Is the rate at which tax is charged. It is the percent of income paid as tax, or the percent of the value of a good, service or asset paid as tax. It can be classified as one of three types: progressive, proportional and Regressive tax.
Tax incidence: It offers to the effect of and where the burden is finally rested. It is the analysis of the effect of a particular tax on the distribution of economic welfare. Tax incidence is said ot fall” upon the group that ultimately bears the burden of or ultimately has to pay the tax.
FBIRS: Federal board of Inland Revenue Services. It is an operational arm of federal Board of inland Revenue which is responsible for the federal tax matters.
CITA: Company income Tax Act (CITA) is a federal law operated by the FIRS, which deals with the taxation of all limited liability companies in
JTB: Joint Tax Board: Is established under section 85 (1) of Decree 104 of 1993 to arbitrate on tax dispute between one state tax authority & another.
VAT: Value Added Tax is a multistage tax levied and collected on
transactions at all stages of sales and distribution.
CGTA: Capital Gain Tax Act is an act that stipulates that all capital gains arising on disposal of asset of individual partnership and limited companies should be taxed.
PPTA: petroleum Profit Tax Act is an act that regulates the petroleum profit tax and also specifies how profit form petroleum will be taxed.
WITHHOLDING TAX: This is tax charged on investment income namely: rents, interest, royalties and dividends, presently it is charged ad the tax offset.
PROGRESSIVE TAX: This is a tax incidence that increase as the size of income increases.
REGRESSIVE TAX: A tax is regressive when its tax rate decreases as the income increases. It is a tax that takes a larger percentage of a lower-income and a smaller percentage of a higher income
EXCISE DUTIES: These are taxes on some goods manufactured within a country (as opposed to customs duties, charged on goods from outside the country. It is a tax on the production or sale of a good.
PERSONS: It include all taxable persons whether it be individual or corporate bodies
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
HO: Revenue generated from tax does not make any positive impact on the economic development.
HA: Revenue generated from tax has a positive impact on the economic development.
H0: There are no incentive from the government to boast the morale of the revenue collectors.
HA: There are incentives from the government to boast the morale of the revenue collectors.