- THE IMPACT OF PERFORMANCE EVALUATION THROUGH THE ANALYSIS OF FINANCIAL STATEMENT ON INVESTMENT DECISIONS (A CASE STUDY OF LOGMAN NIGERIA PLC.)
- THE IMPACT OF ELECTRONIC BANKING ON THE PERFORMANCE OF BANKING IN NIGERIA (A Case Study of Eco Bank Plc)
- THE IMPACT OF MARKETING FINANCIAL SERVICES IN DEREGULATION ECONOMY BANKING INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA)
- THE IMPACT OF CASHLESS POLICY ON THE PERFORMANCE OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA
- IMPACT OF CORPORATE LEVEL MANAGEMENT ON THE EMPLOYEE’S PERFORMANCE (A Case Study of Fidelity Bank Plc.)
- THE IMPACT OF CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE (A Study of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc)
- IMPACT OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL ON EMPLOYEES PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA BREWERY)
- COMPENSATION MANAGEMENT AS A TOOL FOR IMPROVING ORGANISATIONAL PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR (A CASE STUDY OF LAGOS STATE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICES [LIRS])
- THE IMPACT OF CONFLICT MANAGEMENT ON EMPLOYEES’ PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR (A STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA)
- IMPACT OF PENSION REFORM ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR (A Case Study of Lagos State Ministry of Education)
THE IMPACT OF WELFARE SERVICES ON WORKERS’ PERFORMANCE IN A CAPPA PLC
The paramount nature of labour as an indispensable and in fact the most important factor in the production process has made a lot of scholars of behavioural science dabble into researches on it. This brought about some theories on, how labour can be treated and gain optimum output from them. This project focuses on provision of welfare services and workers' performance in G.CAPPA PLC. In order to determine which of the welfare provision is common in the industry, which of it the employees relay want and which of the provision influence the performance of workers in term of optimum productivity. Primary data are gathered through the workers cadres with well -structured questionnaire using· stratified random sampling techniques while secondary data are collected from the company. The result shows that reward system for excellence and annual salary increment as additions to the turning of the welfare provision in order to enhance the performance of their employees for a higher productivity and profitability. The absence of adequate provisions, thereby affect their performance.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page ii
Table of Content vi
Chapter One: Introduction
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Objectives of the Study 2
1.3 Questions 3
1.4 Hypot1iesis 3
1.5 Scope of Study 4
1.6 Significance of the Study 4
1.7 A Brief Introduction of the Company (G.CAPPA PLC) 4
1.8 Limitations of the Study 5
2.1 Literature Review 6
2.2 Motivation of Workers
3. 1 Research Methodology
3.2 Restatement of Research Questions
3.3 Restatement of Hypotheses 17
3.4 Sampling Design and Procedures 17
3.5 Research Instrument 18
3.6 Validity and Reliability of Research Instrument 19
3.7 Analytical Procedure 19
3.8 Limitations of the Methodology 20
4.1 Presentation and Analysis of Data 21
Chapter Five: Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
5. 1 Overview of the Chapter 41
5.2 Summary of Findings 5.3 Discussion of Findings 41
5.3 Discussion of Findings 42
5.4 implication of finding for management 43
5.5 Conclusion 44
5.6 Recommendation 45
5.7. Suggestion for Further Study 46
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
It is known that the good way of boosting the moral of workers is to take an adequate care of their welfare needs which in turn enhances their productivity and performance. In spite of this welfare given to them, the reason is their belief that the pursuit of maximizing workers welfare well "jeopardize their primary objective of being a business which is profit maximization. Poor maintenance or motivational factors may cause dissatisfaction in an employee. It does not mean that the satisfaction of maintenance needs by management automatically satisfies the motivational needs. The fulfillment of maintenance needs by the management only bring employee to neither kind of neutral equilibrium whereby there is neither a substantial dissatisfaction by employees nor high level of job motivation by the management.
The neutral position makes it necessary and affective for management to motivate individual In order to avoid dissatisfaction from individual worker.
The satisfaction of these needs centers on the ability of the management to provide the climate where by individuals can unfold their potentials and talents.
The absence and inadequacy of these welfare needs often leads to poor performance of workers which consequently affect the organization productively objectives without the organization realizing this on time. It in turn affects the gross domestic product (GDP) of the country as a whole.
Whereas if these provision are taken care of by these organization and equally enforced through necessary government legislations. Both corporate profitability and national income will be grossly enhanced.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of the study is to evaluate the purpose of welfare services on workers performance in the construction company.
This study is also meant to appraise the policies and objectives of the G.C.A.P.P.A. PIc. With regards to procession of welfare services and workers performance in the company.
To offer possible and realistic performance to the management to make them able to render and sustain an improved quality services.
To provide sampling platform for testing the effectiveness, suitability and applicability of various welfare services in the organization (G.CAPPA PIc).
This study is expected to provide answers to the following questions.
(1) Which employees’ welfare provisions are most common in the construction company?
(2) Which of the welfare provision do employees really want?
(3) Are workers satisfied with the current level of welfare provisions?
(4) Those adequately or otherwise of these provision influence workers performance & productivity.
(5) What is the relationship between workers union and the management?
(6) Do staff development programme contribute positively to workers performance?
(1) There IS a direct relationship between workers performance & welfare provision.
(2) Welfare provision improves workers performance.
(3) Adequate welfare provision breeds cordial relationship between workers' union and management.
1.5 SCOPE OF STUDY
This study is intended to cover a construction company I.e GCAPPA plc which its headquarters is in Lagos and In addition, the company compliance with the provisions of workers decree (1987) & workmen compensation decree (1987) would be accessed.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The effort and resources to be used on this study would be worth While because it would assist in identifying the various kinds of welfare provision employed in the construction industry besides, it would afford the opportunity to determine the relationship between workers union and management and will tell which of the provisions are most cherished by the workers.
1.7 A BRIEF INTRODUCTION OF THE COMPANY (G.CAPPA PLC)
The company was incorporated as a private company in October 1952 and was officially listed on the Nigerian stock exchange on 25th may, 1979. The company carriers the business of building and civil engineering contractors since incorporation.
As at 318t march 1996, the company has hit a turnover of #1.872 billion and a profit after tax of #87.34m. The company has a staff strength of 5,444 sparsely spread throughout it's branches In Nigeria and an approximate of 2,400 shareholders. Some of the notable projects the 1 company has building includes:
· The independent building Lagos.
· Tafabalewa square Lagos
· Nigerian institute of international affairs Lagos.
· Federal palace hotel Victoria Island Lagos.
· First bank of Nigeria head Lagos complex.
· Central bank of Nigeria Lagos complex.
· The Nigerian industrial development bank etc.
1.8 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
As earlier mentioned the field of behavioural research as it relates to workers' welfare is very wide. As a result of the purpose for which the study is meant coupled with the time and resources available for it, the study only focuses on provision of welfare services and workers performance in the company (G.CAPPA PLc.)
The un con-operative attitude of .some respondents either out of fear of going against the organizational rules guiding against official secrecy and confidentiality also limited the level of this study.