- THE ROLE OF TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN PROMOTING ENTREPRENEURSHIP EDUCATION IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF JOURNALISM OGBA LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA)
- IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL ON EMPLOYEE PRODUCTIVITY (A STUDY OF MTN NIGERIA)
- EFFECT OF EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL AND MOTIVATION STRATEGY ON EMPLOYEES IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY (A CASE STUDY OF WEMA BANK PLC)
- THE IMPACT OF EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL ON EMPLOYEE PRODUCTIVITY (A CASE STUDY OF MTN NIGERIA)
- WASTE DISPOSAL MANAGEMENT IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION (A STUDY OF MUSHIN LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA)
- ROLE OF TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN PROMOTING ENTREPRENEURSHIP EDUCATION IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF JOURNALISM OGBA LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA)
- THE STUDY OF MOTIVATION AND EMPLOYEE PRODUCTIVITY IN PUBLIC SECTOR A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
- ANTIBIOTICS RESISTANCE PROFILE OF ESCHERICHIA COLI ISOLATED FROM APPARENTLY HEALTHY DOMESTIC LIVESTOCK IN SOUTH-WEST NIGERIA (OSUN STATE, NIGERIA)
- EMPLOYEE MOTIVATION AND ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE
- IMPORTANCE OF MOTIVATION OF EMPLOYEE IN AN ORGANIZATION (A Case Study of First Bank Nigeria Plc Agbede Branch Edo State)
THE STUDY OF MOTIVATION ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE. (A STUDY OF SULEJA LOCAL GOVERNEMNT ADMINISTRATION, NIGER STATE, NIGERIA)
The project focuses on the impact of motivation on employee’s performance, a study of Suleja local government administration. This project is important because it will expose the positive results of motivating employees in an organization, and be an eye opener to entrepreneur. Data was collected and analyzed by use of questionnaire and simple percentages. The findings amongst other ones are as follows. That the workers of Suleja local government administration are not efficient, there is idleness and absenteeism and lateness to work which has significant impact on their productivity. It was found out that there is poor or inadequate motivation; this affects the moral of the employees. Based upon the finding the researcher recommends as follows. The management should create an environment, which will enable the management to recruit, train and motivate employees for their day to day affairs. Motivational techniques should be applied in order to get employees satisfaction and self actualization with the aid of personnel management efficiency and effective strategies has to be undertaken in order to attain the goals and objectives of the organizations.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of contents v
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of the problem 5
1.3 Purpose of the study 6
1.4 Significance of the study 7
1.5 Research question 8
1.6 Scope of the study 9
1.7 Definition of terms 9
2.1 The history of Suleja 11
2.2 Types of motivation 14
2.3 Theories of motivation 16
2.4 Overview of motivation and employee
3.0 Research methodology 24
3.1 Design of the study 24
3.2 Area of the study 25
3.3 Population of the study 25
3.4 Sample of the study 25
3.5 Instrument for data collection 26
3.6 Validation of instrument 26
3.7 Distribution and retrieval of instrument 27
3.8 Method of data analysis 27
4.0 Presentation and analysis of data 28
5.0 Summary of findings, conclusion
and recommendations 36
5.1 Summary of findings 36
5.2 Conclusion 37
5.3 Recommendation 39
5.4 Limitations of the study 40
5.5 Suggestions for further research 41
Appendix A 44
Appendix B 45
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Motivation can be seen as the inner drive, which prompts people to act in a way either towards achieving their personal goals or organizational goals. To a large extent, motivation is “leadership” as it involves getting the whole staff to learn to work willingly and well in the interest of the business. A leader can influence his subordinate only when they are convinced.
Conviction can only come when the entire subordinate accepts those factors that propel actions of individuals, which are referred to as motivation. They may be highly paid, prestigious titles promotion, praises, bonus, etc. The word is an abstract noun applying to the entire class of desired need wishes and similar forces.
Motivation has to do with action which results, to satisfaction closely associated with motivation is the word “miracle” it is injecting of moral and loyalty into the working team so that they will carry their duties properly and effectively with maximum economy.
Motivation is one of the most researched and discussed subject in business administration and management.
Researchers have brought to explain how and why people are motivated to behave in a manner consistent with a supportive of organizational goals.
Behavioural scientists have put forward many theories to explain in the concept of motivation. Dr. John Iboko in his book titled theory and practice of management by objective (M.B.O) Nigeria experience defined motivation as the face that focus human being action towards a chosen and for motivation to take place, there must be a felt need and goals, the accomplishment of which is expected to satisfy it.
Meanwhile people level of development, values, needs and wants varies, that is why what motivates one person may not necessarily motivate the other.
Fredrick Taylor said that people have been engaging in employment for reasons other than money. He added that a worker can be motivated if reward and penalties are attached to performance.
Modern economics depend to a large extend on motivation more than previous economics. Motivation itself has now become inseparable from modern production for good efficiency and effectiveness of organizational productive and rendering of good services to the customers by the staff can be possible with the aid of adequate motivation.
According to Okpala, he said that motivation comes from intrinsic and extrinsic factors which influence the workers to behave the way they do. The intrinsic source of motivation is the type of motivation that derive a sense of accomplishment and achievement from helping gain a competitive advantage job that are interesting and challenging load to intrinsic motivation, for this type of work motivation result from performing the job itself.
The extrinsic motivation result as a worker acquires material or social reward to avoid punishment the physical condition under such punishment will work well and light, temperature and noise reduction, different salary scale, group standard leadership etc all of this effect the employees performance.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
All efforts made by the management of Suleja local government to see to it that their employees carryout their daily assignment efficiently and effectively for the organization to attain to its goals and objectives have proved abortive. This has posed a serious challenge to the organization.
The main cause of this problem is that most of the employees are not well motivated. Below is the problems, this study intends to resolve;
1. How to create an environment, which will enable the organization to recruit, train and motivate their employees.
2. The ways of enhancing the job of an employee’s so that they can work more efficiently and effectively.
3. The things to do in other to reach to the satisfaction and self actualization of the employees.
4. The strategies that should be taken into consideration towards achieving the goals and objectives of the organization with the aid of motivating employees.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The impact of motivation on employee’s performance cannot be over emphasized. The main purpose of this study is;
1. To determine their effect of motivation of the performance of employees on the Suleja local government administration.
2. Find out whether employees are motivated and the motivational tools used.
3. To find out effectiveness of the motivational tools used and to proffer solution to the problems.
4. To find out the factors that is militating against the effective and efficient performance of workers of Suleja local government administration.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The effects of motivation on employee performance cannot be over emphasized. The study reveals the positive results that come out when an employee is being motivated for a particular job he or she is carrying out in the organization. This research is of great significant in the following fields, in the field of academic, it will add to all existing literature on administration. The research is very important to students in the business administration and management who have the feature aspiration to become a manager in an organization. Who will unavoidably need the knowledge on how to motivate an employee, so that the organization in which he or she is managing will be able to attain to its goals and objectives. To the organization it will enable them to enumerate the mutual techniques they will apply in other to motivate their employees so that they will be able to carry out their daily performance more effectively and efficiently.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the various ways of motivating an employee in the organization?
2. Does job enrichment motivate employees?
3. Can motivation technique affect the productivity or the service of employees’ performance effectively and efficiently?
4. Does workers satisfaction in their performance has a significant influence on the rate of absenteeism and labour turnover?
5. Does motivation of workers has a significant increase in organizational performance and productivity?
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study covers the employees in Suleja local government area. The study examines how their employees carryout their daily performance, the study also involves how good their employees render their services to their customers when they are being motivated to show how fast the employees deliver product to customers urgent demand.
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Productivity: It is the efficiency and the rate of producing goods effectively.
Quantity: The number of products that are being produced whether big or small in number.
Intrinsic Factor: There are circumstantial factor surrounding the organization externally or outside the organization.
Standard: Test or measure for qualities for the required degree of excellence.
Goal: This is the objective towards which someone strives at.
Satisfactions: A state or condition for contention.
Need: This refers to a want of something which one cannot do well without, it is necessity.
Moral: This is described as a state of individual’s attitude, judgement and feeling.